I like CBM's post on this bullsh*t story, stating that "numerous sites have put 2 and 2 together and coming to the same conclusion", thus proving that numerous sites have their heads up their asses. The rumor going around, based on some flimsy social media evidence, is that Star Wars: The Force Awakens' John Boyega would be next to join Marvel's Black Panther. That would be pretty awesome, but no, it ain't happenin'.
Here's the bullet-pointed evidence they came up with to back up their assertions, and note that it includes some flimsy reporting from Heroic Hollywood. Shocker!!
- A Snapchat earlier this week from Boyega teased an important meeting
- Soon after the snapchat post, Kevin Feige began following Boyega on Twitter
- Heroic Hollywood posted an article saying Boyega was meeting with Coogler
- Boyega stated he was a big fan of the comic book series back when he was first campaigning to play T'Challa before the role went to Boseman
- Boyega and Coogler are friends and even attended The Force Awakens' premiere together
If Boyega and Coogler are such close friends, why would they need some formal meeting? Ugh. It'll be nice when some of these couch jockeys stop pretending they are Sherlock Holmes. Just because Boyega likes Black Panther comics (Hint: we all like Black Panther comics right now) doesn't mean he's in the movie. He's just a fan. Anyway, Boyega's reps hit Twitter and shot the rumor down...
That was followed by a more reasoned story by THR piece that shut this whole thing down for good. Of course, Boyega joining the likes of Chadwick Boseman, Lupita Nyong'o, and Michael B. Jordan in a film that Kevin Feige promises will be 90% made up of African or African-American castmembers would be amazing. But he's already got one Disney franchise under his belt, and he doesn't need a supporting role in another.My client @JohnBoyega will not be starring in Black Panther. Now for the news...— MR FEMI OGUNS (MBE) (@MrFemiOguns) May 19, 2016