This has been an amazing week for movie premieres already. Les Miserables screened for critics to astounding response, and last night saw the debut of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey. This weekend Quentin Tarantino is finally going to be screening his slavery-era spaghetti Western, Django Unchained, and he's been working down to the wire in the editing room to get it finished. But now the film is locked and we've got info on the soundtrack plus the final trailer.
There's a little bit of new footage here, but for the most part it's a lot of what we've already seen and with much the same hyper violent, flashy style we expect from Tarantino. Jamie Foxx plays Django, a slave freed by a German bounty(Christoph Waltz) to take on an evil plantation owner played by Leonardo DiCaprio. There was a lot of talk early on that DiCaprio may get the same Oscar attention that Waltz earned for Inglourious Basterds, so we'll know in a matter of days whether his performance measures up or not. As for the soundtrack? Well, you've got James Brown, 2Pac, John Legend, composer Ennio Morricone, and Jim Croce. Tarantino has never been afraid to go bold with his music choices, and this one's no different.
Django Unchained opens on Christmas Day. You can check out the trailer plus the track listing for the soundtrack below....
"Django Unchained" Soundtrack Tracklisting
2. DJANGO (MAIN THEME) - LUIS BACALOV, ROCKY ROBERTS
3. THE BRAYING MULE - ENNIO MORRICONE
4. IN THAT CASE, DJANGO, AFTER YOU...
5. LO CHIAMAVANO KING (HIS NAME IS KING) - LUIS BACALOV, EDDA DELL'ORSO
6. FREEDOM - ANTHONY HAMILTON & ELAYNA BOYNTON
7. FIVE-THOUSAND-DOLLAR NIGGA'S AND GUMMY MOUTH BITCHES
8. LA CORSA (2ND VERSION) - LUIS BACALOV
9. SNEAKY SCHULTZ AND THE DEMISE OF SHARP
10. I GOT A NAME - JIM CROCE
11. I GIORNI DELL'IRA - RIZ ORTOLANI
12. 100 BLACK COFFINS - RICK ROSS
13. NICARAGUA - JERRY GOLDSMITH FEATURING PAT METHENY
14. HILDI'S HOT BOX
15. SISTER SARA'S THEME - ENNIO MORRICONE
16. ANCORA QUI - ENNIO MORRICONE AND ELISA
17. UNCHAINED (THE PAYBACK/UNTOUCHABLE) - JAMES BROWN AND 2PAC
18. WHO DID THAT TO YOU? - JOHN LEGEND
19. TOO OLD TO DIE YOUNG - BROTHER DEGE
20. STEPHEN THE POKER PLAYER
21. UN MONUMENTO - ENNIO MORRICONE
22. SIX SHOTS TWO GUNS
23. TRINITY (TITOLI) - ANNIBALE E I CANTORI MODERNI